Getting started

Trying to find a new routine for the upcoming year of kindergarten.  My focus for this year is Bowen, although I want to include Henry in as many activities and school work as he's interested in.  I'm trying to move our mornings in this general direction: after everyone's up, tv goes off.  Everyone gets dressed and fed for the day.  We go outside and wave goodbye to daddy.  Legos come out and everyone begins building while I begin reading to them.  (I've found this to be a good way for them to stay active while listening to the reading--in general, they're better listeners this way).  We're working our way through this children's Bible and right now we're in 1 Samuel.  The kids love it and remember the stories quite well.  Then, if the Lego building hasn't veered off into fully engaged playtime, I read more from The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe.

After reading time, it's playtime.  And then at some point during the day when it's convenient, we've been working on phonics.  We spend only 10-20 minutes every day on letters and simple words, but even for that short amount of time, Bowen really looks forward to it.  Our only problem has been the distraction of the other two, especially Ollie.  I know I have some planning to do with Ollie if this is going to work well!

My biggest goal in teaching the kids at home is to nurture a love of learning.  I don't want them to associate all learning with sheer book-work, but instead associate it with the joy of exploration and discovery of this vast world.

Comments

Popular Posts